Junior Accounts Coordinator
Blackbox is a new shipping company from the creators of Cards Against Humanity. Our mission is to help people sell and ship stuff directly to their fans for a fraction of the cost and effort of doing it themselves.
We're looking for a data-nerd-ish person to manage new-client projects, shepherding those projects through every stage from Kickstarter to final fulfillment, while applying creative problem-solving and clear communication.
The role and the team require a positive, “can-do” attitude and approach. You'll need to get into the details, solve problems, and make things happen—the buck stops with you. Nobody on the team is above any task—we all pitch in to get things done, we collaborate, we communicate, and we help each other.
Type of Work
What will you really be doing in this job? You'll be guiding Blackbox client projects through the the fulfillment process—crunching data, maintaining a catalog of products, calculating and organizing, and getting things done so that Blackbox can successfully ship the client products to customers.
Here are some details about your responsibilities:
Working on Shipping Projects
- Data management: Formatting and transmitting order data.
- Manage Product Catalog/Database: Enter new products, manage product specifications, understand the details.
- Quoting projects for clients: Create detailed quotes using our pricing model and client's order data. Understand different scenarios/possible arrangements.
- Manage Orders: Special orders (e.g., for conferences and events), wholesale orders, etc.
Working with Internal Blackbox Teams
- You'll be the contact for our Customer Service team regarding details of client projects.
- Answer questions from individual Customer Service team members.
- Work with Customer Service to sort out strategy and policies/approach.
- You'll work with our Accounts people to take over the day-to-day details of projects, once clients have signed on with Blackbox.
- You'll work with our Operations people to make sure warehouses are prepared for client inventory, properly equipped to ship the products, and aware of any procedural notes.
- You'll work with our Tech people concerning customer data and product information.
Qualities You Should Have
- We'll have sizable product launches and other big projects. You'll know all the details and be knee-deep in the hoopla.
- Track down missing information.
- Answer questions, help fix problems, communicate updates.
Process Documentation and Improvement
Understand and document the processes for client projects:
- What information do we need from/about clients, their products, and their customers?
- How can we provide realistic and reliable expectations and timelines to clients and customers?
- How can we make things more efficient and better?
For this role, it is essential to have these skills:
- Organization: You should be a very organized person (though you'll also need to roll with some chaos without getting too anxious). You should be able to manage a complicated checklist/process with a lot of moving parts, keep track of a lot of information, and document what's happening.
- Process Orientation: You should have a process/system for the client projects—know what the steps are, understand contingencies, and look for ways to simplify, streamline, or otherwise improve how we're doing things.
- Communication: You must be able to write, speak, and think clearly. You'll need to ask and inform in ways that are clear, effective, and unambiguous.
- Logical Thinking/Problem Solving: The ability to apply reason and rational thinking to analyze situations and problems. There's a fair amount of detective work in this job, and you need to be able to think through things, analyze what's going on, and figure out what the options are. You'll also have to MacGyver some stuff.
- Getting It Done: You need to be a person who can get things across the finish line yourself. You will be encouraged to ask questions, and you will have help and support, but you need to be able to get things done on your own, to surmount obstacles, and to ask yourself the question, “What should I do next?”—and answer it for yourself.
Additionally, the kind of approach and general work/human skills you bring to bear will also be important.
Here are some of the important qualities we're looking for:
What's in it for you?
- Empathy and Compassion: The value of these things should never be underestimated. A lot of your job will be problem-solving, and dealing with potentially annoying and stressful situations. The ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes, and to foster understanding and cooperation, will be invaluable and will make life better for everyone. Really.
- Sense of Humor: This has nothing to do with being “joke funny.” Rather, it indicates the ability to maintain a sense of perspective, even when situations (and people) get aggravating—which they will.
- Technical Skills: You should be pretty good (but not necessarily a wizard) at Excel—e.g., know some formulas, be good at formatting. You don't need to be a coder, but you should know your way around a computer. Having some experience with software tools for organizing work/projects will be helpful. Also, having a sense of spatial relations or playing a musical instrument can't hurt.
Money, health insurance, vacation time, and other benefits. You'll be part of a small company and small team, so you'll really be in the mix. There's a lot of opportunity to work autonomously, to learn, and to experience variety and challenge in your work. It's a casual, informal (but professional and hard-working) work environment, and interesting projects and people are often crossing our path. There's opportunity to work remotely part of the time, and as you establish your credibility, you'll have increased freedom to shape the job.
If this sounds appealing to you, please get in touch.
Ready to join the team?
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A brief introduction to yourself.
- Your work history.
- One life lesson you've learned the hard way.
This is a full-time position based in Chicago, IL. You'll report to the Accounts Manager.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Apply for this Role